Job Title: Health Care Navigator
Department: Client Services
Program: SSVF (Supportive Services for Veteran Families)
Reports To: SSVF Program Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt/Full Time
COVID-19 Vaccine Required but subject to recognized exemptions
The Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) Health Care Navigators are employed by SSVF Grantees to provide services that include connecting Veterans to VA health care benefits or community health care services where Veterans are not eligible for VA care. SSVF health care navigators provide health related case management and care coordination, health education, interdisciplinary collaboration, coordination, and consultation, and administrative duties. SSVF Health Care Navigators work closely with the Veteran’s primary care provider and members of the Veteran’s assigned interdisciplinary treatment team.
The SSVF Health Care Navigator works closely with the Veteran’s assigned multidisciplinary team, including medical, nursing, and administrative specialists, and case management personnel. The SSVF Health Care Navigator works within this team to provide timely, appropriate, Veteran centered care equitably. The SSVF Health Care Navigator works collaboratively with the team and the Veteran to identify and address systems challenges for enhanced care coordination as needed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (inclusive but not exhaustive):
- Identify veterans/veteran families experiencing or at-risk of homelessness.
- Conducts assessments of the Veteran in collaboration with the interdisciplinary treatment team, the Veteran, family members, and significant others.
- Assist veteran in development of Treatment/Health Care Plan addressing non-clinical barriers, incorporates self-care goals and provides resources and referrals needed to support adherence.
- Ongoing evaluation of the Treatment/Health Care Plan as a tool to ensure that provided resources are effective.
- Screen all SSVF eligible participants to determine if they are currently enrolled for health care and other supportive services provided by the VA.
- Identify concerns or questions about veteran’s treatment or medications to develop open communication with the provider or treatment team.
- Provides health related case management services to Veterans and serves as the liaison to VA and community health care programs, and represents the program in contacts with other agencies and the public.
- Identify the Veteran and family's health education needs and provides education services and materials that match the health literacy level of the Veteran.
- Provides ongoing education support as needed to the Veteran and family members. The incumbent assists in identifying VA and community resources to prevent disease and promote self-care.
- For specialized health education outside of scope of practice, refer Veterans and families to the appropriate interdisciplinary team member for identified health education needs.
- Conduct community outreach and home visits to vulnerable clients.
- Manage case data by entering client data in Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) in a timely manner and in accordance with license requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Public Health, Biology, Psychology or other human service or health related field.
- Preferred Master’s level social worker or equivalent education and experience.
- Knowledge of Protecting Protected Health Information, HIPAA Privacy and Security for Business Associates
- Possesses excellent judgment and has at least one year of experience in a health care or social services area of practice.
- Ability to interview persons, analyze information to determine eligibility for program.
- Must be computer literate.
- Base Salary Range: $$42,230 - $48,400.
- The salary offered will follow Caritas of Austin salary guidelines based on candidate's education and experience.
- Employer paid health, dental, vision, life, short term disability, and long term disability insurance for employees.
- 13 Paid Holidays per year.
- 20 days of accrued PTO in year one with increases up to 31 days per year.
- Retirement plan with employer match.
- Discounted Rates on Gold’s Gym and Legal Shield memberships.
- Mileage Reimbursement.
- Monthly Phone Stipend.
- Monthly Paid Parking for employees who office from Downtown Location.
Caritas of Austin is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.